Sunday, April 19, 2015

Fall Gold Raspberries April 19, 2015

My Fall Gold Raspberries have had a hard time taking off. Last year was the first year they were in the ground the whole time and unfortunately the plants didn't produce many canes, never mind any fruit! 

These raspberries are suppose to grow well with heritage raspberries (which I have planted a few feet away in their own bed). However, unlike the traditional red raspberry of the heritage plant, the fall gold is suppose to produce beautiful yellow/gold berries, usually with a great harvest in the late summer/early fall season. 

After the coldest 3 month period on record in my area of Connecticut, I was worried that my raspberries would be damaged or killed off. However, it seems the prolong snowpack may have actually helped to keep the plants insulated. Now, the raspberries canes are beginning to  lead out and I noticed a lot more smaller canes growing in the fall gold bed! 

It may be small but it's a start to a healthy crop later this year or next yea! I can't wait to try a fall gold raspberry! 


No comments:

Post a Comment