Friday, July 20, 2012

Storms killed my Zucchini Plant!

On May 18th many areas of the northeast from Boston to D.C. saw strong to severe thunderstorms with high winds, heavy downpours, hail and even some funnel clouds! Knowing these storms were on their way I moved my container garden around for protection. This included moving my large zucchini plant that I'm growing in a pot. I moved this one purposely because I read that squash plants are susceptible to wind damage. After moving all of my pots into safer and covered positions I awaited the storms! Yet as they looked like they were about to unleash they're fury on my town they fell apart giving us just some light rain. As the afternoon progressed into night it looked as of we would only get some rain and no more storms. So I decided to move the zucchini plant back out into the open to get some water. Well the next morning, the 19th, I woke up to a brief but torrential downpour and when I went out to my garden I noticed the zucchini plant was completely bent over, snapped at the stem! I was extremely disappointed and have yet to do anything with it. It still has a zucchini on it and the leaves have yet to die. I'm going to wait and see whether the zucchini continues to grow before trying to salvage the plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment